Tuesday 3 May 2011

A very Regal affair

As the daughter of a staunch Republican, raised to question the role of the Royals in our lives, I guess I should have kept all the shenanigans associated with the Royal Wedding at arm's length. But hey, any excuse for a party and if that party involves cupcakes and afternoon tea then I am sorry Dad, I am there!

Mr Crafty and I headed down to Bognor Regis (suitably Royal in title even if the most famous (apocryphal) Royal comment about this British seaside resort was not particularly complimentary) for a Royal Wedding celebration/house warming. Our valiant friends had literally moved in the day before but the bunting was up and everyone made a massive effort to assemble a fabulous spread.

I contributed cupcakes, homemade heart-shaped jammie dodgers and freshly baked scones. Mr Crafty made some very more-ish mini quiches.

Flags made using the template on Patchwork Harmony








I loved the fact that all over the UK people were following suit and hanging out the bunting. We spent the day in the company of close friends but others were at street parties finally getting to know their neighbours (including I might add my Republican father albeit slightly reluctantly). Either way, at a time of domestic recession and terrible natural disasters and unrest internationally I think everyone really valued the opportunity for some bonding time and a good old fashioned knees-up. The dress was lovely, the couple in question looked very happy and I for one whole-heartedly enjoyed toasting their future happiness with umpteen glasses of Pimms. Sorry Dad!

3 comments:

  1. awh! your cupcakes look amazing! and lovely to see the little flags on there! please do add your pic/s to flickr!
    Sounds like you had a great day! I too indulged in a fair amount of Pimms! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, it all looks spectacular! Would you consider posting your jammie dodger recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!
    I used a Tana Ramsay recipe http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4941/festive-jammie-dodgers and just changed the shape to something a little more wedding related! It is a fab recipe - very easy to eat far too many of them!!

    ReplyDelete