Monday 22 June 2009

Birthday Cookies

It was my cousin's 60th birthday this weekend so I spent Saturday making him cookies. I took a series of snaps of the process.

I made a simple vanilla cookie dough and cut the shapes out. I chose birthday presents, birthday cakes and comets (the latter because he is an astrophysicist!) The key is to stick the dough back in the fridge after you cut the shapes out to reduce the chance they will spread in the oven:

I baked the cookies for 10-12 min:

When the cookies were cool I piped an outline in Royal icing:

I then filled the cookie in with more royal icing let down with some egg whites. Once this was dry I piped details onto the cookies. The comets were dusted with edible glitter:

If I did them again I would make the design less fussy on the presents as the ribbon doesn't quite work for me but I was really happy with the rest and they went down a treat at the party!

6 comments:

  1. so sweet! and thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, when I saw the first pics, I wasn't sure what they were going to be but the final result is so cute! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, will try out sometime.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you just get cleverer and cleverer!
    i made cookies for one of my little nephew's birthdays, and sent them in a little brown cardboard box with a set of icing pens for him to decorate himself (he's at that age). fab present idea! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautifully decorated ! How could you bear to let people eat them !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Utter cuteness!! Those look too good to eat!!

    ReplyDelete